A good article on the 9News site regarding the unexpected cardiac arrest that a young teenager and his remarkable recovery.
The points we should take note of are;
- A thought to be healthy 16 year old boy had a cardiac arrest, while competing in a triathlon.
- The teenager had a unknown pre-existing condition.
- First Aid CPR was administered immediately.
- Paramedics were nearby and able to ‘re-start’ his heart with an AED / defibrillator.
- Consequently quick access to CPR and an AED /Defibrillator helped saved the boys life.
- What is especially relevant her is that cardiac arrest can strike any time and any where totally unexpectedly.
While first aid and CPR helped save his life, the only way to restart a persons heart is with a defibrillator.
Don’t get caught out !!
Make sure you have a defibrillator and people well trained in CPR / First Aid to help save a life toady !!